Alright, maybe that’s a little bit unfair. It’s more like, does Pharrell Williams know another way to write song intros? The dudes over at Discopop were listening to Skateboard P’s latest album GIRL when they noticed something unusual – seven of the ten tracks start with the same pattern, with the first beat of the first bar looped four times before transitioning into the vocals. Inspired by their discovery, they worked their way through Pharrell’s back catalogue looking for more examples – and compiled the results in the mini-mix below.
Sure they have a point, but after listening to the mix it kind of just makes me realise how good Pharrell is at producing a song that’ll get embedded in your brain for the next few days. Give it a listen below and decide for yourself.
1) SWV – Right Here
2) Jay-Z – Frontin’
3) Kelis – Milkshake
4) Snoop Dogg – Drop It Like Its Hot
5) Robin Thicke – Blurred Lines
6) Shakira – Why Wait
7) Frank Ocean – Sweet Life (this one is especially lazy)
8) Pharrell Williams – Brand New
9) Paloma Faith – Can’t Rely On You
10) Pharrell Williams – Happy
11) Pharrell Williams – Hunter
12) Jay-Z – I Wish
13) Pharrell Williams – Gust Of Wind